Saturday, June 28, 2014

Busy day in Istanbul and traveling

Made the most of my 24 hours in instanbul visiting the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, the topkapi palace, and the basilica cistern (the cistern was my favorite part... It was a location in Dan Brown's book The Inferno that I recently read) I even got the full experience of a Turkish bath which was pretty cool but definitely not what I expected. Made a quick adventure to the Grand Bazaar before my flight which is massive open market. After talking with one of the shop owners about what I do and where I am from I ended up giving him a few home exercises for his wife and he gave a a great deal on an item (always helps to be a little friendly). I met a few Aussies traveling Europe, a group of Canadians backpacking, an American who just finished 2 years with the Peace Corps in the country Georgia. All great people who wished they were joining me on the adventure to Africa.

Had a 6 hour flight to Ghana from Istanbul which went great until I got here and my luggage didn't.  So looks like I get to spend the few two days with 2 outfits!! Two other students arrived today from the UK and we will spend the night in Accra (the Capitol of Ghana) until tomorrow and then make the trip to Takoradi tomorrow afternoon .

The Blue Mosque

Turkish Bath
Basilica Cistern

No comments:

Post a Comment