Monday, August 6, 2018

Sunday arrival in Kenya

We arrived in Ethiopia for a short layover Sunday morning.  This is the first time in Ethiopia since my trip with the Global Citizenship Project at Shenandoah University during my junior year of school.  The smells and culture came rushing back when we landed.  Did not get to order any food but I plan to get some during my stay in Kenya.

Luckily our flights were right on time and we arrived early in Kenya.  It was surprising cold as this is their winter time and it was about 64 degrees and no humidity. Driving from the airport to the city it was filled with a variety of business, buildings, and people.  The disparity in classes is seen clearly along the drive.  We arrived at Grace House where we will stay for the 2 weeks which is very close to KMTC (the university) and KNH (the hospital). Everyone was so nice and welcoming.
After taking a small nap and unpacking, Emily and I explored and went to a local market.  We follow d this up with a meeting with the mentor organizer for the resident students this week.

I am starting to get very excited for this opportunity but worried about how I will treat and move well in a suit. Kenya has British influence and the dress code is very formal. We will see how it goes tomorrow.

I was able to get a workout in before dinner and meeting up with the SU students who did some sightseeing today. We went to the local mall and had a meal with my first local beer. We are all very excited for our first day in clinic!






No comments:

Post a Comment