Friday, March 4, 2016

Day 2

Today was a great day for me.
I was welcomed by Kai, JoJo, Anna and the other therapists with a Happy Birthday.
It is different spending the day far away and without family but it has been awesome at the same time.

Today was full of presentations. I gave a 20 minute presentation on clinical reasoning and the thought process of patient care.  It was awesome to see everyone engaged and listening. I was banking on the Ghana time and guessed they would not mind if I went over on my time but halfway through I was given the 3 minute warning.  Finished a little rushed but having 3 groups of therapists come up to me after to wish to speak more about the model really made it all worth it.

Right before lunch Kai gave a very educational lecture on international
Outreach and how the Ghanaians can help develop programs in their local communities and neighboring countries that are not as advanced as Ghana.

JoJo also had many people come to her poster and educate them on her doctorate research

Went with a fork and knife lunch today and had a conversation with our group as well as Anna and Pam about politics, PT development and growth.
Right before lunch started a young PT came up to me and presented a case he was having trouble with at home.  We went through the subjective and objective information as well as the current treatment plan. We also went over some new ideas with manual and neuromuscular re-education.  I never knew that 3 chairs could work so well as a treatment table.

After lunch I gave a 1:45 lecture to the Physical Therapy assistants.
We spent time talking about the structure in America, frustrations, and ways to improve competence. We spent time talking through cases, trying to make them think big picture and more patient centered.  We did a breakout to work on early patient management which was something the group said they loved after we finished.   The session ended with education on mentorship and the benefits of using mentors. The current PTA president spoke to the group and gave his contact information to everyone.  For being a last minute session I feel it met the goals of the PT's, PTA's, the conference, and my own goals for education 

End the afternoon with a beer on the 3rd floor taking it all in.


I thought the night would end there but we had a reception for the conference. The executive committee of the Ghana physiotherapy association had a cake made for me and the whole group sang happy birthday. It was amazing!  After we had a celebration, dancing, food, and the outstanding physios were awarded certificates.  At the end Kai, JoJo, and myself were given awards for our contributions which was so nice of them.

A few of us went to a local place to talk and enjoy the rest of the night

All in all a busy but great day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment