Sunday, January 8, 2017

Final Day


Last night was a great time and I even had the luck of running into a friend from Virginia.  We were in the Central Park area and I heard my name called from a voice that was not in my group. I looked up and My friend Kyle was right in front of me! He was doing a mission trip and stopped over in Granada for the night. Unbelievable that he saw me in the crowded area!! 

Saturday morning myself and one of the students woke up early to see a patient for the final time. After all the great patients experiences we had this week, sadly we ended on more of a low experience. The patient with hip pain that we evaluated yesterday answered his door and refused therapy. He reported the pain was worse from the evaluation and didn't want to continue. We tried to explain how we could do some things to reduce the pain but he did not seem to believe this or want to even hear us. We knew he would be sore after the tests and stretches from yesterday but sadly his belief may have been that it was too much. I told the student how this is a great learning experience about education, patient alliance, and dosing of tests/home exercises. We reflected on the experience and how we can both learn from it. After residency and half of fellowship training I have really learned the importance of self reflection as the best way to improve my interactions and skills. It is always humbling when you admit your faults and learn from them. Being early in my career I feel i have a long way to go!

Later in the morning the entire group went to a local retirement home and interacted with about 40 adults who lived in the home. We talked, dances, colored, and just sat with these amazing people. Many of the ladies and gentleman living here either had cognitive deficits or no longer had family who could care for them. Luckily the nuns who ran this center are able to provide great housing and care for this group of people. It was very hard to see the condition of some of these men and women. One guy was so emaciated and sick that every breathe looked like he was fighting for his life. He could not see or sit up from the bed. 
Some of the best experiences come from seeing the not so glamorous sides of things. Not often do people visit senior centers and I am so grateful we had this experience.

We spent the rest of the day exploring and enjoying a lagoon. The fresh water in located in a crater and it feels like you are cut off from the world with 360 degrees of mountains.  I spent most of the time in the water swimming, paddle boarding, and even jumping off of a 15 foot ledge. It was a perfect way to end the trip.

At the end of our time out we met as a group and reflected on the entire time in Nicaragua. 

On the bus ride home I had an amazing conversation with Viva co-founder Carrie. We talked about mission works, global health, and long term goals.  I love meeting people who inspire me to continue this passion!!

I spent the night packing and went to bed early because my taxi to the airport is at 3 am on Sunday


Overall, this was a great trip with some new experiences as tons of lessons learned. I cannot wait to tell everyone about it and plan my next adventure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment