Thursday, July 10, 2014

7/9 clinic day

Another great day at the clinic. Today I worked with some of the regular patients . I used an ace wrapping technique for
Foot drop and to improve knee flexion for
The swing phase of gait and taught the patients wife how to do it at home to practice. 
There has been a few very strange cases while I have been here and one was a young girl who fell and after a period of events that don't exactly make sense  now has open wounds on her arm. Today in clinic the wound nurse came with her to change the dressing so I could see what it looked like. It sounds like a cast was placed on her arm and then 4 days later it was removed and a compartment syndrome occurred in her forearm and hand. After that she must have had some kind of skin infection because her fingers are no longer visible and all of her skin is not healing properly.  I have pictures but they are pretty graphic so I will not post them. 

I also got to do an evaluation today which was fun but hard because I had to use their format and terms and translator. It will take a few more to get used to it and feel comfortable.  After clinic 6 of us went to another orphanage. This one has 50 children who live there and 30 who live at home but receive help from the orphanage. I played soccer with most of the boys which was fun but showed how bad I am at the sport. This orphanage is larger then the other and has less support and help compared to the other. The age range of children is 5 to 17 and many of the older children come back and teach/ help out. 

Came back to house to have some Red red (native dish) and then hung out and watched Messi get the win for Argentina. 

No comments:

Post a Comment