Thursday, July 3, 2014

Clinic day 2

Today was another day in pediatrics. The patient caseload was mainly cerebral palsy. The therapists use standers and adaptive seats that are made out of cardboard. It is really cool and a great idea for these types of clinics. (I will take pictures tomorrow). I worked with the therapists on differnt ways to treat developmental milestones and also learned some ways with them.  Half of the children did great with me. The other half screamed the entire time. I tried to stop the session but in this culture they expect the entire session to happen. After 5 patients I went to observe one of the other therapists treating a 3 year old with torticoilis. I was shocked with how aggressive the stretching and soft tissue work was. The patient had to be held down my his father. I tried to educate the therapist on other techniques I learned while at CHKD but she seemed to be seeing success with her way and so I had to stand back and let her treat her way.  These are the times that are very hard because I want to jump
In and change things but I need to respect their education and culture.
Later I was asked by one of the therapies to take the lead with his patient that had a cervical myopathy and now left wheelchair bound with trace muscle contractions below C8. It was a great experience working with her daughter caregivers and the therapists working on transfers, strengthening, and exercises. In the afternoon I spent most of the time answering the 3 Ghanian Physio students  questions. 

Again another amazing day and looking forward to tomorrow!!! 

Tonight is the house BBQ where we all hangout, learn African dance, and reflect on the trip.  Also great when the supermarket sells bottles of wine for 7 cedi (money here in Ghana which converts to 3 cedi per US dollar)  Always looking for the deals 

1 comment:

  1. Kyle, Not many students can say they have made children cry all over the world. ;)
    Thanks for blogging. I expect a presentation at VPTA and ... when you get back. What a fantastic journey. Missy

    ReplyDelete