Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Week 3 day 2

Today in clinic I tried to be even more independent and start to get patients going on my own. I worked with two children first who had CP. They both did not cry once which was amazing and better then last week. One of the children was able to sit in kneeling without assistance by the end of the session which is something her mom said she was never able to do. 

Every patient has blood pressure assessed before the session. Today one person had 160/108 and the therapist asked if he had taken his meds or had food. He told the patient to go eat and come back in an hour to try again. I was shocked that the patient got right up and left. I could not see that working at home but here the patients will do what they are told so they can be seen. 

Next was an evaluation for a patient with the diagnosis of Wernicke's Encephalopathy. I had never seen a case like this so I grabbed another physios phone and did a 5 min search and then did the eval. It was a very interesting case  with a history of alcoholism (often seen with the diagnosis) drinking poorly manufactured Ghana Gin. Biggest impairments were vision, balance, gait, and strength. After the eval
I provided him some intervention and a home plan. After the patient left, the senior therapist who was observing me stated how she had never heard of this diagnosis and would have never looked at vision/vestibular because of her lack of training. I will be doing some research tonight for the therapist on the tests and exercise that can be used for patients with these impairments.  She also stated she would love to do a case study on this patient! 
Had another patient who was a re-eval that had a femur fracture and just got cleared for weight bearing as tolerated on the right. Using a scale (one you stand one to measure your weight) I was able to get him to undertand how to put weight down and use a normal gait pattern. Every other way I tried to teach it did not work. After the session he told the senior therapist he would not pay for the session today because he worked to hard during the re-eval and not in the gym where he normally goes. He also said in Fante that the white guy did it all and not them. That made me a little mad because I am working along side the staff and just because I am white should not mean that I do not work for the hospital. 
Got to sing Da Nase (Fante song we learned) at clinic today and everyone laughed but then joined in. It was really fun. I love how happy people are and how much music and song motivates these people. Even when it is crazy busy in the clinic you don't see people complain. They sit patiently and wait or help another patient with their therapy. 

Did a workout in the afternoon and then did my laundry the old fashion way with two buckets, water, and some elbow grease.

I also went to the seamstress to pick up something I had made. Look forward to wearing it at the BBQ on Thursday.... And every day after that too.  It's a pretty sick shirt!!
Tonight is our second Fante lesson at the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment