Thursday, July 17, 2014

Village outreach

Today we went to a small village about 1.5 hours from Takoradi further west towards Ivory Coast. When we arrived there were tons of children in school uniforms to greet us and a long line of adults ready for the clinic. 
We had 4 tables set up to do blood pressure readings, blood glucose screenings and hepatitis B screenings. In total the group screened between 250 and 300 people over a 4 hour span. A group of medical students addressed other illnesses and helped to provide advice for patients. A few children had some wounds that were not being treated correctly or not being treated at all. A few of the nurses and I cleaned and dressed the wounds.





Overall this was a great clinical experience. It reminded me a lot of the SU medical mission trip to Nicaragua with the set up and flow of patients. It felt very nice to work in a more remote setting where care doesn't not usually come as often. I also liked doing screens that I would not normally do as a PT. 

Our group finished the clinic and then walked a few hundred feet to the beach to have lunch, relax, and then had an intense game of sand soccer to finish of the day.




Working on a few items for clinic tomorrow and then hanging out with the housemates before our big adventure in the forest this weekend. 


Best part of the day..... Our bus driver had a Ravens hat hung up next to him. I have him a big hug and told him how proud I was of him (he had no idea who the Ravens were but I did not care). I also made him put it on so I could snap a picture......



No comments:

Post a Comment