Wednesday, July 16, 2014

And another great day in clinic

I began the day treating one of my usual babies with Erbs Palsy. He is so much fun and I have a great time talking with his parents about Ghana, places I've been in Ghana and learning about the places we will be going on the weekends. The people always want to give advice and help you to learn about their country. I love this aspect of the culture here! 
I did an evaluation on a young boy who got a malaria injection 2 weeks ago which instantly resulted in a nerve palsy. The dorsiflexors and everters of the right foot were 1/5 with muscle testing. The senior Physio explained that in school they learn where shots should be administered and have been seeing that nurses are being lazy or negligent and putting it in the incorrect location of the butt hitting nerves. She has seen these cases more often recently and is very frustrated by it. 

I also got to treat my first Bells Pasly patient ever. I have not been able to treat anyone at home with this condition they have many cases here. The senior therapist had Bell's palsy when she was younger so she got interested in this diagnosis and has made it her "specialty". She showed me the treatment she uses and let me work on one of the patients. She uses baby power as the medium for the message and says she likes it more then message oils or cream. I really enjoyed learning these new treatment techniques and hope to apply them when I return home. 

The young girl from the other day with the cast that was left on for 9 weeks returned today. Her mom got an X ray and after looking at it we could see a bone that should not be in the joint which is most likely causing the early end feel. However no report was included. She had to leave the clinic and find the only radiologist in town to get that done.(sometimes the flow and structure of medicine can be so frustrating and run patients in circles). After 3 hours she returned and the report stated a mal-union. I wrote up a report for the patient to bring back to the orthopedist. The senior therapist said that she doubts anything will be done and will most likely need to send her to another private hospital outside of West Ghana. This lack of motion is not allowing her to eat or wash her hair with her right hand (here they eat with their fingers and it is considered rude to do anything with your left hand because that hand is used for the bathroom). She will have many issues if something is not done for her. I plan to keep working on this case while I'm here and press the therapists to keep on it as well (I sense their concern when we talk so have a feeling this will not be an issue). 

Ended the day having a sit down one-on-one with the head therapist regarding my clinical evaluation. It went very well and had lots of feedback for each other, my teaching, the clinic, and the next week and a half. 

Did Insanity in the rain with the other American and then had our weekly BBQ with the house. Amazing food again and rocking the new threads! 





No comments:

Post a Comment